From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2024 14:08:02 -0400
Since it’s pretty depressing to bird Denison now after all the clearing of “invasives” plus I fear there is only more to come,  I headed to the Marie Hickey trail at Blackhand Gorge this morning. I had a nice assortment of warblers, residents & most heard only, but a surprise was a heard-only Canada. It sang several times and I did get some recordings but I could not spot the bird. it was calling below me off a steep cliff edge so I had to be rather careful where I placed my feet. I know that they nest (or used to, I don’t know their current status) a bit farther south at Conkle’s Hollow. Have they been recorded as nesting in the Blackhand Gorge area? Certainly seems like it’s a similar environment to conkle’s hollow. Or is it more likely a late migrant or overshoot? Nice to hear, tho.

Had v brief looks at a KY that was singing as it stayed low & hidden. Did not hear or see expected La WT. the trail used to be reliable for Prairie Warblers but they’ve been tough for me to get the last couple years & I didn’t hear or see any today.

On the way home, I stopped at the Dillon wildlife area across from the main parking lot at the Gorge but only added a few species: nesting Trumpeter Swan (saw both birds, one on nest; other much farther away on far side of pond), Warbling Vireo, Baltimore Oriole & Wood Duck. No swallows on the pond or river.

Warblers
Canada
KY
Yellow
Com YT
Redstart
Ovenbird
Cerulean—good numbers
Yellow-throated
Blue-winged
N Parula

Vireos: RE, WE, Yellow-throated, warbling
E Phoebe
Peewee
Acadian & Great-crested FCs
Scarlet Tanager