ADHS Archives

October 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:12:54 -0700
Hi Mark...

My favorite moonshine book--and it's really
wonderful--is Joseph Earl Dabney, _Mountain Spirits.
A Chronicle of Corn Whiskey from King James' Ulster
Plantation to America's Appalachians and the Moonshine
Life_, New York, Charles Scribner's Sons, 1974.  It
covers more time than you want but is no less
spellbinding on that account.  Chock-full of up-close
description and original-voice accounts.

Ron

You wrote:

>I teach a senior American Studies/History seminar
entitled American
>Cultural History of Alcohol and Drugs here at the
University of Texas.  One
>of my students has come to me with an interesting
topic on the changing
>production and use of moonshine liquor and the
bootlegging industry during
>and after the Prohibition era.  He has some great
oral history from his own
>sources but we've had difficulty finding secondary
sources on the topic.
>There are sources such as Wilbur Miller's <Revenuers
and Moonshiners> for
>the 19th century but even they generally concentrate
on the revenue issue

--
Ron Roizen
voice:  510-848-9123