OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:47:48 -0500
With neighborhood ponds frozen for the first time this winter, I took a walk along the Scioto River this afternoon. The Scioto hasn't been very interesting for waterfowl so far this winter, but today there were a couple of modest concentrations for the first time this year. Canada Geese, Mallards and Am. Black Ducks were widespread in good numbers everywhere. In my "backyard" area just south of 5th Ave. there were :

1 Gadwall
1 Pied-billed Grebe
14 Ring-necked Ducks
6 Hooded Mergansers

Below Griggs Dam there were :
1 Gadwall
77 Ring-necked Ducks
11 Hooded Mergansers
3 Common Goldeneyes

Passerine highlights today included a Winter Wren foraging in the sycamore roots in my backyard, and a Hermit Thrush in the now berriless honeysuckles below Griggs. This is the first winter in a while where there hasn't been a pair or two of Wood Ducks wintering around here.

Bob Royse, Columbus

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com