OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:12:29 -0700
Bill Whan echoed the thoughts and visions brewing in many of our minds, I'm sure, in his early a.m. post.  We've been starving for some unusual weather to pass, to spice up what has been the most dreadful September migration in recent memory, at least in the northern part of the state.

While the winds have been due west all day, after work I headed to Bradstreet Landing Pier in Rocky River for a bit of wistful jaeger/Sabine's-watching, as has been my habit this month each time the wind turns even a bit wild from the north.  The only movement on the lake involved Herring/Ring-billed Gulls, and a flock of ~10 ducks about 1/2 mile away, most likely mergs.

From here, I headed inland to check West Creek Reservation, which has shaped up quite well for potential Nelson's/Leconte's guests this fall.  The southeast corner of the landfill looks particularly good, and this where the last two Sharp-taileds were found here - both on Oct 1st.  No such luck today, but there was an obvious increase of migrants in the area - including the latest OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER that I've recorded here.  It was feeding quite actively, and quite successfully - on most of its feeding runs - from high atop a dead tree.

Franklin's Gulls are quite susceptible to blow offcourse with a strong west wind.  If they've already shown up at Hoover, they are undoubtedly at other reservoirs in the state.  Perhaps more surprises will be in store...

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland