OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 06:04:45 -0700
Ed and Robert Schlabach and their oldest sons joined me for a nice Thursday evening at the Black Rail site. We heard the bird(s) about 20+ times during 75 minutes or so of listening. As Ann Oliver noted, sometimes the calls were quite far away and then very close. It's hard to imagine one bird scurrying all that distance constantly...

Update on the local land-owner or renter. He very graciously didn't mow the roadside where we were standing, but as we came by on our way home (after checking the pond, etc), he was mowing the site. We stopped and talked and he was very nice, asked what kind of bird it was, and said that he had been angry at first when people parked on the wet areas right at the wetland. Our impression was that he is now feeling okay about the visitors but appreciates it if people park along the higher areas of the roadside where its drier. While we were there, everybody stayed along the road and no tapes were used. This is really an amazing and memorable event.

Bruce Glick - Holmes County

  Bruce

  Bruce Glick
  Millersburg, Ohio