OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 19:41:36 EDT
The Prothonotary Warblers at the Hoover Nature Preserve have been fledging
at a rate equal to buttered popcorn at a Cineplex. Even with the lack of rain
in  Central Ohio and the dropping water level at Hoover Reservoir they appear
to be  having another very successful year. Thursday Jim Fry and I watched the
adults  feeding the hatchlings at a nest along the Big Walnut Creek and Friday
they were  fledged and begging for food. There are still many nests that have
yet to  fledge, but as a whole they seem to be fledging earlier than normal.

They have plenty of company as I’ve been encountering recent fledglings
everywhere in my blocks for the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas. Among the species
confirmed this week as breeding via fledglings were:

Green Heron
Wood Duck
Wild Turkey
Killdeer