OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
"Allen T. Chartier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen T. Chartier
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2010 08:59:32 -0500
Ray,

My first impression of your warbler was that it was a female Pine Warbler,
but on enlarging it I noticed a pale area below and curling behind the
auriculars (ear patch), which suggested Cape May Warbler. But, the lack of
streaks eliminates Cape May so I'm back to female Pine. It is just my
impression, but it seems that the majority of wintering Pine Warbler photos
from the Upper Midwest that I've seen are of likely males, showing bright
yellow and green coloration. It seems that females don't linger northward
very often. We have a male Pine Warbler still lingering in Michigan's Upper
Peninsula right now.

Allen T. Chartier
amazilia1(at)comcast.net
Inkster, Michigan, USA