From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2011 21:24:41 -0400
Today was the best day of the spring for me and possibly one of the best
spring days in years at my house in North Perry.  Things started remarkably
slow with few birds moving until around 7:30.  Around 7:30-8:15 there was a
classic fallout.  My yard and feeders had very few birds one minute and then
hundreds.  The first indication was a flock of 240+ pine siskins.  They were
at all the feeders and literally covered the ground.  There were a few
goldfinches also, but the vast majority were siskins.  Around this time
orioles and grosbeaks began dropping in.  In a little over an hour i counted
200 Baltimore orioles passing east.  This did not include the birds at my
feeders.  At one time at my feeding station west of the house I had 21
Baltimore orioles in view at one time fighting for the feeders.  This did
not include Orchard orioles.  They don't stand out as well in flight so I
just counted ones at my feeders.  At one feeder I had a max of 11 birds.

Rose breasted grosbeaks were also in huge numbers.  I had 7 males on the
ground at one time and an equal number of females.  I'm guessing at least 17
birds were present a am guessing there had to be 30-40 at all the feeders.

Other birds of note were white-crowned sparrows.  I estimated at least 55
just at my feeders.  There had to be equal number in the adjoining park.
The white-crowned sparrow numbers did not materialize until mid-late
afternoon.  Of note were at least seven GAMBELL'S WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS.
Six were counted at one feeder at one time.  An additional one was at
another feeder.  I photo can be seen at:

http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5668&PID=17046#17046

Other birds of note were 6 EVENING GROSBEAKS, 3 red-breasted nuthatches, and
14 species of warblers.  warblers of note were YELLOW-THROATED, PRAIRIE, and
KENTUCKY.  I no longer get evening grosbeaks annually and the last few
sightings have been of single birds.  this was the most I have seen in a few
years.  A photo of one of the evening grosbeaks can be seen at:

http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5669&PID=17047#17047

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081