From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:04:26 -0700
I checked out Zaleski today. Spring progressed only minimally since last week, and it was very cold when I arrived this morning. There weren't many tunes in the deciduous wooded ridges away from the pines besides the towhees and titmice. The same species seen last week were all still present in similar numbers except that Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were more numerous and Yellow-thrtoated Warblers are just beginning to establish territories away from the pines along the creeks. New warbler arrivals noted today included Northern Parula (2), Prairie (1), and Hooded (1). I didn't hear any Ovenbirds there yet. Things should really pick up steam next week once the warmer weather returns.

At least one Henslow's Sparrow has returned to a field along Rt. 93 just north of Zaleski. There is a pull off by the road there at the top of a hill just N of Rt. 56 and just S of the small town of Mt. Pleasant.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com