OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2017

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2017 20:24:34 -0400
Sorry for the delay, but my ISP had issues with my browser.  I visited these park areas southeast of Columbus back on Thursday, and had lots of the expected summer residents, though some unusual numbers on a few.  Notable were:

Great Egrets - 22 were crowded into the Wood Duck marsh at Pick Ponds, many with nuptial plumes.  Since it seem far for the Shrum Mound birds to commute, I suspect there may be a closer rookery.

Cuckoo - despite being in prime habitat, I could only find 1 Yellow-billed all morning.

Brown Thrashers - at least 1 was at nearly every stop; Chatterton had 3.  They seem to be profiting from the succesional growth along many of these park areas

Black&White Warbler - 1-2 often summer in the grapevine tangles along the Blacklick Creek Greenway.  I had 1 bird singing along the bikepath just north of Cruiser Park

Yellow-br.Chat - 1 was singing at Pick POnds (Meadowlark Trail), and 2 more were along the Blacklick Creek Greenway.  They may be taking advantage of the same habitat as the thrashers.