OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:17:02 -0500
The Merlin which has been reported around Hoover Reservoir was found today at about 5:30 PM at Hoover Meadows.  We originally found the Merlin by itself but is was soon mobbed by Blue Jays and Northern Flickers.  The Merlin could not stay perched for more than a few seconds before it would attempt to drive some of the mobbing birds away but to no avail.  When we finally left at 6:05 PM (the ranger was honking his horn to close the gate), it was still being mobbed.  A lone Palm Warbler was also observed and possibly a female Purple Finch but it quickly evaded our attempts to get a better look.

We were also lucky to find the Peregrine Falcon which has been reported around Hoover Reservoir on Friday on Thoreau Lake at Blendon Woods.

Ken and Julie Davis
Westerville, OH