OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:56:24 -0400
Hello all,

Today I found 5 Eurasian Collared Doves in Logan County in an area I have been seeing them off and on all spring.  It looked to me like there were two adults and three young birds looking rather scruffy. I saw a bird carrying material earlier this year at the exact same tree.  The birds were sitting on the wires and in a tree right along the road on state route 235 about a quarter mile south of the intersection with SR 274.  This is right across the street from Indian Lake High school, and directly across the street from the softball diamond to be exact.  These birds have been a major pain to track down and I have only seen them on less than a quarter of the trips.  Maybe they were on eggs, but in my opinion these birds can be extremely hard to find, even when you know you are very near a territory. I have found this to be true with the Celina birds as well.  They will probably be easier to find now that the young birds have been fledged. I was able to photograph one of the birds if anyone wants a bad picture.

Cheers,

Troy Shively