OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2014 20:10:30 -0400
I was at "The Conneaut Sandspit" in Ashtabula County this morning, Friday July 11th, from 6AM to 9AM. Upon my arrival there were twelve juvenile Bald Eagles at various locations on the sandspit. The total Bald Eagles viewed from the sandspit was 37, 1 adult and 36 juveniles. I did not check out the other areas east of the aggregate piles. Today, the eagles on the sandspit did not flush to the breakwalls as they usually do. In recent weeks, they seem to becoming more tolerant of the human visitors. About 8AM, there was a group of 9 juveniles congregating nearby, not caring that myself and other birders were present. It is my assumption, that because of the massive eagle gathering, less and less variety of birds are showing up, especially the shorebirds. Even the gulls and terns, are now normally being found to the west, at the public beach. Compared to previous years, very little in the way of waterfowl is found. Another factor that I believe specifically adds to the lack of shorebirds, is that this year, The Conneaut Port Authority seems to be removing every item of washed in debris, from driftwood to logs, to seaweed like material. Thus there is no wrack. A wrack is a line of debris left by storms at the high water mark. This is where shorebirds can usually be found, somewhat out of sight and partially protected. A sterile environment is all that is left after the sandspit grooming. Of all the eagles I have seen at Conneaut, today was the first time I have ever seen one with a large placard attached to its left wing. It was an older juvenile with an easily read (red letters C2, on an oval shaped white background, on an irregular saddle shaped green background. Photos can be provided upon request. If anyone has information pertaining to this, please share it. Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County