OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2012 14:34:12 -0700
For those heading up here to the Ottawa/Magee region for the O
Hi all,

For those heading up here to the Ottawa/Magee region for the OOS (Ohio Ornithological Society) event this Sunday - shorebirds are present. While most of the area is dry due to the lack of rain, a few spots are still hosting a few shorebirds including the Crane Creek Estuary and a few spots along the Ottawa NWR Auto Tour (which remains open tomorrow, Sunday).

This morning I checked out the Crane Creek Estuary (viewable by walking west along the new Crane Creek Estuary Trail) and was surprised to find decent habitat hosting a couple hundred shorebirds and even more terns (four species including a single Black Tern). Shorebirds observed were: Semipalmated, Least and Spotted Sandpipers, Short-billed Dowitchers, Stilt Sandpiper x3, Killdeer and both yellowlegs. You’ll need a scope for this spot. I wouldn’t be surprised is an avocet or something else of interest is found tomorrow with the number of birders coming.

Along the Auto Tour was the same mixture of shorebirds (minus the Stilts) including good numbers of Short-billed Dowitchers. Areas hosting shorebirds include MS4, Pool 9 East (north side) and just north of the Crane Creek crossing between MS6 and MS7. See map here for directions (http://www.bsbo.org/birding/pdf/OttawaNWRMap-AutoTour.pdf).

Be sure the check the beaches at Magee and Metzger for the odd
shorebird. Today I had 15 Spotted Sandpipers along the Magee beach and
yesterday there were 3 Sanderling along the East Beach Trail.

Dickcissels are on territory in several areas in the region including along Bodi Road (1.7 miles east of Magee entrance) near a refuge sign on the east side of the road.

There has been a Cattle Egret handing out along Route 2 between Davis Besse Power Plant and Rt. 19 through yesterday. If you see it tomorrow, send me an email - I still need it for my local patch big year!

Good birding,

Ethan Kistler
Oak Harbor, Ohio