From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:28:25 -0400
        I've been told that this morning there were five yellow-crowned
night-herons back at the traditional nesting spot in Columbus. This is
the customary number in recent years: two breeding pairs and a "helper."
I am told one of the existing nests is not being used, and one pair
seems to like a tree across the street now.
        The future of this little colony is a mystery.  The consistency in
recent years of two very productive (4-5 young per nest consistently)
breeding pairs argues for the yearly return of the same experienced
birds. Why the "helpers" are seemingly not returning as adults is a good
question. Upon the death of the four breeders, will this colony wink
out? Probably the offspring of these birds are not returning to the
natal area, at least for more than a year. The history of nesting by
this species in Columbus goes back for decades, and in some cases
colonies grew with time, but not over the past 20 years or so. I have
some half-baked theories, but what do others think?
        One more thing. This species almost certainly nests elsewhere in Ohio,
and the Atlas needs to know. This is prime time to locate nests: birds
are building/repairing them, and with few leaves out it is easy to see
them. If you have a block with riparian/swampy habitat, you might have a
real prize if you can get out in the next week or two to check.
Bill Whan
Columbus