From:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2010 19:18:25 -0700
Was asked to give an update on the Ruff. After our group and several others carefully and diligently combed the area north of the platform and surrounding areas along Rt 95 Saturday eve for several hours, finally at 6:30PM the local bald eagle made another pass over the area sending many of the shorebirds to flight, this time including the Ruff. The Ruff was seen flying along the very far west shore from the platform and landed on a muskrat mound well over 1/4 mile to the west.
As others have said, this bird can take some time to either fly in or come out from the vegetation. Any time a train passes or the eagle pass over are times to have all eyes scanning the birds taking flight.
We dipped on maybe a half hour listen and watch for the Smith's Longspurs on Washburn Rd but did hear Upland Sandpiper to the east of Washburn Rd.

Kent Miller
Hartville,OH