OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:25:12 -0700
Hi all,

  Spent the afternoon at Headlands Beach State Park. Warbler numbers and diversity were fairly good although birds were quiet and hard to find ( probably because of the time). Besides migrants alot of the birds I think of as "Headlands Breeders" (Brown Thrasher,Gray Catbird, Baltimore Oriole etc.) were still around in good numbers.

  Below is a rundown of most migrant species seen

  Connecticut Warbler - 1 walking on ground in dense shrubs. Larger bird,heavy billed, complete eyering, short tailed etc. Even harder to see than the rest of the migrants.
  Yellow Warbler- 2 seemed rather late
  Hooded Warbler - 1 female was a suprise on the breakwall.
  Blackpoll Warbler - 5 in close association
  Cape May Warbler -1
  American Redstart - 10 no adult males. Most numerous Warbler after Magnolia.
  Magnolia Warbler -15
  Common Yellowthroat - 1
  Black-throated Blue Warbler -3 2 females 1 adult male
  Bay-breasted Warbler - 4
  Wilsons Warbler-1
  Northern Parula - 2 very dull birds
  Nashville Warbler - 1
  Tennessee Warbler - 1 very high, only warbler in tree tops.

  OTHER MIGRANTS:

  Least Flycatcher - several present
  "Traill's" Flycatcher - 1 stayed silent (apparently immune to my telekenetic powers - I spent alot of time willing it to call)
  Swainson's Thrush - 25  in small groups
  Lincoln's Sparrow - 3 seemed early to me
  White-throated Sparrow - 1 also seemed early
  House Wren - 2 agressivley scolding for reasons I couldn't see until I looked up and saw a few accipiter dots very high up.
  Caspian Tern - a few
  Yellow-billed Cuckoo-1 managed to find some caterpillars.

  However despite all the birds, I apologize - my personal highlight was a mammal. There was an Eastern Red Bat  roosting in a willow tree. It wasn't even on a branch it had just grabbed onto some leaves to spend the day. Fantastic little beast - just sat there and watched it for almost an hour. I expect that it flew across the lake last night ( I think I'm justified in posting about it - it's a migrant too.)

  Anyway - nice to enjoy one of the last summer like days.

  Good Birding,

  Phil Chaon