OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:35:13 -0400
The Birding at Blacklick Woods was pretty good today. First bird was a singing Philadelphia Vireo, nice yellow throat and eyeline on this individual. Good numbers of warblers around Buttonbush Trail and the Barred Owl is perching out in the open again. A bit of a scare occurred when a Black-throated Blue Warbler hit the window, a beautiful male. It sat around in the Hemlock tree I put it in and 20 minutes later it flew off. I hope the little guy is ok! highlights reel below:
Philadelphia Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Acadian Flycatcher - still calling
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Nashville Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Black-throated Blue Warbler
American Redstarts - with a couple lovely adult males,nice break from all the juv. types
Black-and-white Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler - good numbers 5+
Northern Parula - adult male
Black-throated Green Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Swainson's Thrush
Hermit Thrush
Wood Thrush
Barred Owl
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Hairy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker* Seen last Wed. a juv. bird. It may still be around ashton pond
Green Heron  - 1 juv. on Ashton Pond
Chimney Swifts - 40+ flying around the pond this morning.

Stop by the nature center to let us know your sightings and for other recent sightings
-Ben Warner
Naturalist Staff Blacklick Woods Metro Park
Swainson's Thrush