From:
Robb Clifford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robb Clifford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:55:00 -0400
Early last week, there had been sightings of 2 Long-eared Owls at Shawnee
Prairie Preserve.  Sightings have been hit or miss over the past week, and
with several school groups moving through the area late last week, I assumed
the owls would move on.  That being said, today, myself and another
Naturalist re-spotted the owl in the same area!  We only spotted the one,
but typically the other was spotted as it flushed, so the second could still
have been there...maybe they'll stick around??
Besides the exciting Owl find, not a whole lot else going on out there.  The
"usuals" were singing, but other than that, pretty quiet.  Still only have
the Yellow-rumps...the rest of the warblers have yet to find us.  (or have
we yet to find them?!)

Happy Birding!  (see list below)

Location:     DCP - Shawnee Prairie Preserve
Observation date:     4/21/08
Number of species:     24

Canada Goose
Mallard
Cooper's Hawk
Killdeer
Mourning Dove
Long-eared Owl
Chimney Swift
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Tree Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
American Robin
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Brown-headed Cowbird
American Goldfinch

--
Robb Clifford
- Naturalist -

Darke County Parks
www.darkecountyparks.org

"We need another and a wiser, and perhaps a more mystical concept of
animals. Remote from universal nature and living by complicated artifice,
man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge
and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We
patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having
taken a form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err.
For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more
complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions
of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall
never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other
nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners
of the splendor and travail of the earth."
-Outermost House by Henry Beston-