From:
Heather Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:24:27 -0400
I walked Denison University Biological Reserve in Granville, Licking County,
this morning, and was delighted that the first of the Yellow-breasted Chats
have returned, along with six other species of warbler and 3 kinds of vireo.
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were building a nest near the intersection of the
White Tail and Crinoid trails.  There were quite a few people hunting morels
in the woods.  I saw my first garter snake of the season.

Also seen:

Canada Goose -2

Turkey Vulture - many soaring overhead

Red-bellied Woodpecker 1

Downy Woodpecker - 4

Hairy Woodpecker - 1

Pileated Woodpecker - 2 (together, near Catalpa/White Tail intersection)

Tree Swallow - 10+

Northern Rough-winged Swallow -2

Blue Jay -2

American Crow -4

Carolina Chickadee -6

Tufted Titmouse -6

Carolina Wren -3

House Wren -2 (one had been atop a bird house in the swallow field on Friday
evening; that box was topped by two tree swallows this morning)

Blue-gray gnatcatcher - 6

Veery -1

Wood Thrush -1

American Robin 10+

Gray Catbird -3

Brown Thrasher -2

White-eyed Vireo  -2

Yellow-throated Vireo -2

Red-eyed Vireo -1

Blue-winged Warbler -10+

Nashville Warbler 1

Northern Parula -2

Yellow Warbler -10+

Common Yellowthroat -6

Hooded Warbler -2

Yellow-breasted Chat -2

Northern Cardinal -20+

2 Rose-breasted Grosbeak -2

Rufous-sided Towhee - 10+

Chipping Sparrow

Field Sparrow

Song Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Common Grackle - 2  (flyover)

Brown-headed Cowbird - 10+

American Goldfinch -10+

House Sparrow

The chimney swifts have returned to "downtown" Granville.

Heather Nagy

Pataskala