From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:52:16 -0400
The Columbus Audubon trip to Dublin this morning found a cool, cloudy morning with a steady movement of temperate migrants along the Scioto River corridor in this northwest Columbus suburb.  We stopped at Kiwanis Park, Indian Run Park, Donegal Cliffs Park, and the O'Shaughnessy dam/Glick Park.  Nothing extraordinary, but good looks at many temperate migrants.  Notables included:

Wood Ducks - 2+ pairs at Donegal CLiffs
Cormorants - 25+ above the dam (or flying over) at O'Shaugnessy dam
Cooper's Hawks - a very human-adapted pair building a nest right along the trail at Indian Run
Red-tailed Hawks - pairs at Donegal Cliffs and Sawmill Preserve (where I stopped early)
Sapsuckers - numbers at every stop, led by 4 at Donegal Cliffs and 3 at Glick Park (south of O'Shaughnessy dam)
Flickers - also moving through in numbers, with 2+ at every stop.
Pileated Woodpecker - 1 heard at Donegal CLiffs, but we weren't lucky enough to see it.
Phoebe - singles at Kiwanis, Indian Run, and Glick Park
Tree Swallows - 10+ fussing over dead snag cavities at Kiwanis
Rough-winged - 6+ flying around the rocky slopes just below the O'Shaughnessy dam
Winter Wren - 1 heard briefly along the gorge wall at Glick Park.
Brown Creeper - 1-2 at every stop
Golden-cr.Kinglets - numerous; the most common small landbird of the morning
Ruby-cr.Kinglet - a single bird at Kiwanis (later, I had another in a brief stop upstream at Scioto Park).
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 1 bird far up the trail at Indian Run
E.Bluebirds - pairs at Donegal Cliffs and Glick Park
Hermit Thrush - 1 bird posing for us along the trail at Donegal Cliffs
Brown Thrasher - 1 bird singing in a bush in the old quarry at Donegal Cliffs
Yellow-rumped warblers - 2+ at Glick Park, 1 in good plumage
Chipping Sparrow - widespread, singing at many locations
White-throated Sparrows - small flocks at Kiwanis, Indian Run, & Donegal Cliffs
Fox Sparrow - disappointingly scarce; heard 1 singing briefly at Kiwanis

The morning was almost as defined by what we didn't find.  There were no Yellow-throated Warblers at any of the stops, nor could we find the Prothonotary reported from Kiwanis recently.  Possibly these were migrants that have moved through already.