OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2007 12:23:23 -0400
Dear Ohio Birders,
   A note of thanks for suggestions for Columbus area
birding with a child.
   We spent a few hours at midday at Highbanks Metro Park. My
nine-year-old nephew loved the exhibits at the Nature Center
building and the Indian Mound.
   We ran into Rob Lowry who was checking his
bluebird boxes. Rob graciously let us tag along. My nephew was
THRILLED to peak inside a Tree Swallow nest (four young)
and see a House Wren nest (eggs). It was the highlight of Ian's day!
   We also found a Hairy Woodpecker nest hole with one
young bird still in the nest and a second bird, who
must have just fledged, on the ground about 15-20 feet
away. Two parents birds were present and the noise
from the four birds was astounding. This was near the turn off to
the observation platform overlooking a meadow along the
"Dripping" trail.
   We also spent some time at Griggs Reservoir hoping for a Belted
Kingfisher (heard only) which Ian had repeatedly said he wished to see.
Another woodpecker nest hole, this time a Downy, entertained us and a few
college-age fishermen. We ended the day with scope-views of Cedar Waxwings.
   We totaled 40 species for the day... and hopefully a
lifetime interest!

Ann Oliver, Cincinnati
p.s. My nine-year-old nephew opened my gift.. which was
a birding field guide... before ALL the other gifts. Yup,
before the TOYS!