OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2008 19:08:52 -0500
Hi all , Russell here,,  A friend of mine called and said  a flock was headed towards my house,, she said about a 100 birds, We didn't see them but as we went to  eat lunch ,, we saw  a big flock ,, aobut 200 fly over Shawnee rd and Ft Amanda rd...  then when we came home and went to  leave for Upper Sandusky  , we were dring down Market street  and a flock flew over Lima ,,  about 75-100 birds. My nephew callled  me as we were driving and he had a flock going over his house ,   very large and he wasn't sure how many ,  and another friend called and   he seen some at Ft Amanda and Mills road ,, he thought cose to 200...  . We found the white wing crossbills ,, just wished we had better light to get osme great photos of em..  I was watchin' them   just a little ways from me ,, about 10 feet on the ground ,,  and up in  the hemlock.. watched them along while before they flew .  they flew over to where 3 people  pulled  up and they got a good show tooo.  something to be there in the quiet and hear  them  workin' on those cones ,  and watchin' it rain down the hulls  ,, really neat. Left there and went to the Hardin co. wetlands and seen  at least a dozen short ears ...  watched one try and rob another of it's catch and  got a pic of the vole fallin' from the two of them ,, Not a great pic as it was at a distance but great to see.... really a great day outdoors
Russell Reynolds
Lima, Ohio