Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:37:05 EDT
Ken Davis should have risen earlier today. I know he has a keen eye so he
wouldn't miss much if it were active. Linda and I were in the area earlier in
the morning as I have begun to monitor my nest boxes at Hoover Reservoir. We
checked Areas M and N and the Big Walnut corridor finishing about 10 am. There
were 13 male Prothonotary Warblers singing and collecting materials for their
 false nests, including the male at N-13 who has been working that nest box
since  Friday. In addition to Ken's observations we also observed Northern
Parula,  Louisiana Waterthrush and Yellow-throated Warblers in the M/N area. A
note, less  than 20% of my nest boxes at M/N can be seen from the old road.
Because of  storm damage the last few years I have most in the back areas beyond
the fallen  trees viewable from the old road. The old road is still a good
location to find  Prothonotaries without needing boots.

Later I checked an area not yet open to the public which lies in my Ohio
Breeding Bird Atlas II coverage area, Char-Mar Preservation Park. At Char-Mar
there were Yellow,  Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green and Yellow-throated
Warblers and Barred Owls, Hermit and Wood Thrush and Rose-breasted  Grosbeak. The
new park will abut Area I of Hoover Reservoir which is in the  Hoover Nature
Preserve. As we skirted the western edge of Area I there were 3  Prothonotary
Warblers singing.

Near the Burnside Cemetery there were 2 Merlin's circling. It didn't look
like they would hang around like the Merlin that stayed there almost 3 weeks
last year.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Delorme 58 C (2) & (3)