Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:24:54 EDT
This morning Linda and I began by checking Area N at the north end of  Hoover
Reservoir near Galena for damage to the nest boxes from the storms  earlier
in the week. Only one casualty confirmed as the back of nest box N-15  was
still attached but the rest of the box was gone. Earlier I worked with a  local
boy scout to install five new territories bringing the Prothonotary  Warbler
Nest Box Trail to 201 boxes. Knock off the one taken out this week by  the
falling tree and we will start the season with an even 200 nest boxes at the
preserve.

While back in Area N we observed numerous Wood Ducks, the Osprey at the
platform, a raft of over 200 Double-crested Cormorants, many Tree Swallows and  17
Bonaparte's Gulls in breeding plumage.

Next we headed to Hoover Meadows to walk the trails and do some easy
birding. The signs of spring migration greeted us almost at once as the front  pond
had both Blue-winged Teal and Green-Winged Teal. As we headed to the back
ponds we counted 7 Eastern Meadowlarks, 5 Brown Thrashers, 4 Eastern Towhees, 2
Hermit Thrushes, Swamp Sparrows, Field Sparrows, a Savannah Sparrow and Rusty
Blackbirds. In the back two ponds we located nice groups of Blue-winged Teal
and  Green-winged Teal, then we had a flyover by a flock of about 75
Bonaparte's  Gulls.

Maybe the migration is finally going to get interesting.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Delorme 58 (2) & (3)