Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:12:40 EDT
Today was a beautiful day to get out. In the morning I did some general
birding in Delaware County. On the way to meet some friends I started with a
flock of Wild Turkeys on the west side of SR 3 across from the Arrowhead Golf
Course. They were leisurely foraging in the open filed. The rest of the morning
was spent exploring a great unspoiled parcel of natural habitat. At this site
birds of interest I observed included:

Wood Duck
Hooded Merganser
Red-shouldered Hawk
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Yellow-bellied sapsucker
Blue-headed Vireo
House Wren
Winter Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Eastern Towhee
Red-breasted Grosbeak

On the way home in mid-afternoon I stopped at Area N of the Hoover  Nature
Preserve to check for new arrivals. The area was surprisingly active for  the
time of day. Most important to me was the arrival of the first male
Prothonotary Warblers. There were five singing from exposed perches. The  complete list
of species observed at Area N was as follows:
Pied-billed Grebe    (1)
Double-crested Cormorant    (43)
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture