OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2013 12:04:52 -0700
The following is being posted for Logan Kahle of San Francisco.

Charlie Bombaci

Highbanks Metro Park Lark Sparrow
8/27
Logan Kahle to youshow details
From  Logan Kahle [log in to unmask] details
To  CHARLESBOMBACI [log in to unmask]

Hi Ohio Birders,

Today I visited
Highbanks Metro Park. It was virtually devoid activity,
and I saw nothing of any
note. While biking out, though, while I was
along the east side of
what I believe is referred to as "Big Meadow"
(coordinates for the
bird here: 40.152209,-83.039685), I saw a flock of
Chipping Sparrows fly up
from the side of the road, and then a bigger,
long-tailed sparrow with
extensive white corners to the tail flushed
behind them. I reconised the tail pattern instantly, and pulled over to
look at the Lark Sparrow
which perched on the roadside again before
flying to the edge of a
trail and foraging. I had extensive views of all
the main field marks,
including the bold face pattern with some
chestnut, prominent dark
malar stripe, white tail corners, and pale
grayish below with a
somewhat prominent dark breast spot. The bird was
somewhat flighty, but
given the habitat, I could imagine it sticking
around for a while.
Photos can be acquired upon request. This is the
first late August report
in eBird for the state, so I'd imagine it's
somewhat unseasonable.
Does anyone know how many previous Delaware
county records there
are?

Good birding,

Logan Kahle