From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2011 13:50:11 -0700
It wasn't yesterday but Magee still entertained this morning, with decent
variety and lots and lots of Yellow-rumps/Palms.  Emil Bacik and I personally
saw 24 warbler sp. and there were at least three more that we heard about
(Orange-crowned, Prairie, Canada).  Most of the activity was along the immediate
lakeshore and woodland edges.  It is quite obvious that migration is behind
schedule at the moment - we're at "1.5 Wave" status currently, with far more
early species around in good numbers than Wave 2/3 birds.  Non-warblers of
interest included: Gray-cheeked Thrush, "Gambel's" White-crowned Sparrow, and
fem. Blue Grosbeak.  The "Gambel's" was among a flock of White-crowneds flushed
near the maintenance shed at the east end of the boardwalk.  The bill was
orangish-yellow in coloration and the lores pale.  The grosbeak was a
crowd-pleaser on the west beach.  We tallied 112 species.  The Marbled Godwit
was rumored to have flew the coop in early afternoon, but Tricolored Heron seems
to be sticking around at Metzger.

Warblers:

Blue-winged  1
Tennessee  8
Nashville  50
Northern Parula  15
Chestnut-sided  6
Magnolia  8
Cape May  10
Black-throated Blue  8
Yellow-rumped  500
Black-throated Green  50
Blackburnian  3
Pine  1  the dullest I've ever seen
Palm  250
Bay-breasted  1
Blackpoll  1
Cerulean  1  best looks EVER...to be sure, many fantastic photos were taken of
this gorgeous cooperative male
Black-and-white  10
American Redstart  5
Prothonotary  4