OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2010 15:42:19 -0800
I checked out the Deer Creek Reservoir this afternoon. There has been a lot of turnover in the past 2 days since Eric Reiner's report from there.

The most notable bird there was a LONG-TAILED DUCK. Otherwise it was mostly expected species for the date in the remaining open water. There were large numbers of Mallards with Am. Black Ducks, and Ruddy Ducks with quite a few Hooded Mergansers as well. Smaller numbers were present of Buffleheads, Red-breasted Mergansers, Gadwalls, and Canada Geese.

Hardly any Bonaparte's Gulls remain, probably less than 10. Ring-billed Gulls were still present in the hundreds, and more Herring Gulls (a couple dozen) were present than earlier in the season.

3 Sandhill Cranes flew overhead near the dam wall in mid-afternoon, but I didn't see them or any others land anywhere.

As far as White-throated Sparrows go, there are certainly plenty in the state right now, but I also have seen fewer at my feeders in Columbus than usual also this fall. My guess is that there is so much food available for them this year that they aren't visiting feeders. In central Ohio they seem to winter wherever there are honeysuckles, and the bushes are full of fruit right now, much more than usual it seems. With the CBC's coming up soon it will be interesting to see what kind of numbers turn up for them along with more typical fruit eating birds. Cedar Waxwings, for example, are still all over the place along the Scioto River in Columbus.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5686 (20101208) __________