From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:56:10 -0700
I took a drive around parts of Zaleski this morning for about 4 hours. Some of the birds I counted included :

4 Broad-winged Hawks
4 White-eyed Vireos
8 Yellow-thr Vireos
3 Red-eyed Vireos
16 Wood Thrushes
a pair of Red-br Nuthatches (nesting?)
2 Blue-winged
10 N. Parula
Black-thr Green (7 long-established resident males, 4 migrants)
8 Prairie
1 migrant Palm
4 Cerulean
21 B&W
6 Am. Redstart
5 Worm-eating
74 Ovenbird
2 C Yellowthroat
26 Hooded
1 Scarlet Tanager

Like every other visit I have made to Zaleski this year, I have found Purple Finches in multiple locations. I didn't think they nested there, but maybe they do. I didn't count the Yellow-throateds Warblers, Pines, or Louisianas today, since they have been established on territory for a while now and are paired up and not singing as persistently. Migrant singing Yellow-rumps were numerous, but besides them only the out-of-place B-t Greens and a single Palm were the only definite migrants.

Afterwards I headed over to the nearby Big Bailey/Utah Ridge/West Bailey loop of the Wayne NF in Athens Co.. That area can be hopping during the last week of April, but I think I was a few days too soon. It was mid-afternoon when I was there and it was quiet. Only B-g Gnatcatchers and E. Towhees were vocal and numerous. I did note Y-t and W-e Vireos, Blue-w, Yellow, Y-t, Hooded, and B&W Warblers, Am. Redstart, Louisiana, CYellowthroat, and Ovenbird in small numbers.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com