OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
"Boutis, Nick" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Boutis, Nick
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:01:11 -0500
Hello all,

We've just received authorization for Audubon to establish a new count
circle centered in Greene County.  The new circle replaces the old Yellow
Springs circle which saw its last official CBC roughly 70 years ago.

In other words, There is a lot of fresh terrain here with little current
data on winter bird populations.  And, we'll need a bunch of skilled
observers to establish a good baseline for years to come.

The circle includes approximately 14 miles of the Little Miami River,
farmland on the eastern third, as well as Yellow Springs, Xenia, and parts
of Fairborn and Beavercreek..

Parks and natural areas in the circle include:
The Beavercreek Wetlands
Cemex Reserve
Clifton Gorge State Nature Preserve
Creekside Reserve
Glen Helen (last year's winter count here found 1576 birds of 36 species)
Indian Mound Reserve
John Bryan State Park
Narrows Reserve
Oakes Quarry Park

The count is scheduled for Saturday, December 18th, 8 am to 4 pm.  Please
contact me if your are interested in participating.

Thanks and regards, Nick

--

Nick Boutis
Director, Glen Helen Ecology Institute