OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2012 06:04:00 -0700
I spent an hour at Conneaut harbor yesterday afternoon.  Highlight was 3 Am. avocets in handsome breeding plumage.  Other shorebirds present were: semipalmated plover, killdeers, spotted sandpiper, lesser yellowlegs, and 4 least sandpipers.  Water level of L. Erie is way down; the pool area on the spit is dry.  Best habitat is along the shore of the spit, where there are a number of sandbars.  Lots of soft sand around, so watch out for that.  Other birds there included a half-dozen juv. ring-billed gulls, belted kingfisher, bank swallows, and barn swallows.  On the drive north to Conneaut I saw 2 Am. kestrels along Rte. 7 in Ashtabula Co.  I stopped at Mosquito L. on the way home.  The habitat was great there.  However, only killdeers and a solitary sandpiper were on the flats.  I had the feeling that a raptor or other predator had just spooked all the birds out of that area.  At that point I headed home.  Craig Holt, Lowellville