OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 05:48:51 EST
In a message dated 1/28/07 12:03:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Tom:  In your reply to Paul about the former kestrel nesting boxes at the
Wilds you wrote:

> Why didn't you erect a couple of nestboxes?  I have erected Kestrel
> nestboxes at The Wilds and it appears I need to do so again.  I live only a
> few miles north of The Wilds.

As one who monitors cavity nesting birds (bluebirds, tree swallows, purple
martins, Carolina chickadees and house wrens) I feel that just putting up a nest
box is not enough.  Once nest boxes have been erected, it is the *monitoring*
of the nesting site which is important.  In my case, I am constantly
patrolling for house sparrow invasions in my smaller boxes, plus starling interference
with the martins.  I don't know if house sparrows or starlings are a problem
in the Wilds and AEP lands or not.  Bees and wasps will take over nest boxes,
too, as reported in the Wilds boxes, and if not removed will prevent use of
the box by the target species.  I don't think it was right for you to take Paul
to task for not investing time and money in putting up nest boxes he couldn't
monitor.  If you have the knowledge, skills,  and time to put up nest boxes
and monitor them, great!  But please, don't admonish others for not doing the
same.

~Kathi

Kathi Hutton
Felicity, Clermont Co.