OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Nick Boutis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Boutis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 10:57:58 -0500
About 15 birders met at 10:00 am yesterday morning for a two-hour bird
walk.  Starting from Trailside Museum on Corry St. in Yellow Springs, our
route took us down the long steps into the Glen, across Yellow Springs
Creek, up the Inman Trail along Birch Creek, across the Cascades Bridge,
through the Outdoor Education Center, and back home by way of the Yellow
Springs.

It was raining when we left, and a cold front moved in while we were out.
By the time I was shaking hands with fellow walkers at the close of the
trip, my hands felt like numb blocks of ice.  In other words, it was a
wonderful day to take a walk in Glen Helen.

We found 21 species of birds, the last three of which we quickly tallied
on our way back up the steps on the return trip.

Here's what we found (in order of appearance):

Species: #
American Crow: 22
Downy Woodpecker: 10
Red-Bellied Woodpecker: 3
Carolina Chickadee: 26
Tufted Titmouse: 18
White-Throated Sparrow: 8
White-Breasted Nuthatch: 9
Belted Kingfisher: 1
Carolina Wren: 2
American Robin: 115 (mostly in flight)
Golden-Crowned Kinglet: 3
Brown Creeper: 3
Northern Cardinal: 12
House Finch: 2
Blue Jay: 1
Dark-Eyed Junco: 15
House Sparrow: 1
Northern Mockingbird: 1
Northern Flicker: 1
Song Sparrow: 1
Hairy Woodpecker: 1

All of these will be listed on our composite list for 2007, found at
www.glenhelen.org/science/2007birds.html

Regards, Nick

Nick Boutis, Executive Director

Glen Helen Ecology Institute