From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2011 23:01:58 -0400
I hiked around these two MetroParks south/southeast of Columbus this morning looking for stray migrants and interesting residents.  Yes, we've reached that time of the Spring when we're left to speculate "will it stay or will it go". Potential residents definitely took center stage this morning, with much smaller #s of definitive migrants. I didn't reach the Slate Run wetlands, so can't offer any good shorebird sightings or updates on the Sandhill Crane colt there.  Notables included:

Barred Owl - a juvenile was calling for parents along the trail at Chesnut Ridge

Yellow-billed Cuckoos - birds were singing at both Slate Run (2) and Chesnut Ridge, so these elusive residents have returned

Pileated Woodpecker - good morning for these big woodpeckers, with 3 at Slate Run & 2 at Chesnut Ridge

Ruby-thr.Hummingbirds - large #s of likely residents at both parks

Flycatchers - large #s of Pewees & Acadian at both parks; a walk around Slate Run's 5-Oaks Trail (ravines) found 20 Acadians in 1 hour in optimal habitat.  Smaller #s of Great Crested Flycatchers at both sites (2 and 1, respectively).  The pond & meadow at Chesnut Ridge had 3 Willow Flycatchers and 2 E.Kingbirds.

Vireos - Red-eyed, Red-eyed, Red-eyed....very common in the forested areas of both parks.  Single Yellow-throateds were at each park, down from last year's #s

Wrens,Gnatcatchers - House Wrens abundant at both sites.  A few Carolina Wrens at each site, unusual so far from suburban areas!  Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers common at both sites, no fledgelings noted yet.

Thrushes - a few migrant Swainson's still here, with 2 @ SlateRun and 4 @ ChesnutRidge.  Singing Wood Thrushes were fairly common, with 5 at Slate Run & 6 at Chesnut Ridge.

Mimids - loads of Catbirds, augmented by single Brown Thrasher (SlateRun) and Mockingbird (Slough Road, between the 2 parks)

Warblers - lots of prospective residents, including Yellow, Parula (3 at SlateRun), Black-thr.Green (ChesnutRidge), Yellow-throated (both parks), Redstart (pair at ChesnutRidge), Ovenbird (a remarkable 5 singing at SlateRun), LouisianaWaterthrush (3 singing, 1 calling at Slate Run), Kentucky (2 at SlateRun, 1 at ChesnutRidge), Common Yellowthroat (numerous at both), Hooded (up year, with 3 @ SR, 6 @ CR). Notable by their absence were Blue-winged & Chats, which can often be found at ChesnutRidge.  Likely migrants included Chesnut-sided at both parks, Magnolia at SlateRun.

Tanagers - Scarlets at SlateRun (3), Slough Road, and ChesnutRidge (5).  Summers at SloughRoad and ChesnutRidge.

Buntings,Grosbeaks - Indigo Buntings widespread and numerous.  Rose-br.Grosbeaks only @ ChesnutRidge, which had 3 singing birds

Sparrows - unremarkable morning, with only obvious resident E.Towhees, Fields, Chippings, and Songs

Orioles - singing Baltimores at both parks, while the only Orchard was singing around the pond at ChesnutRidge