From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 18:05:27 -0700
I went up to Conneaut harbor today, was there about 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  It was cold with strong winds out of the NE.  In the late afternoon the rain was pretty steady.  Days like this in late spring feel miserable but often make for interesting birding at Conneaut.  The spit attracted it's fair share of raptors, shorebirds, gulls, terns, etc.  while a few songbirds were found in sheltered areas out of the wind at the township park next door.  I found a group of warblers feeding on a lawn with chipping sparrows, trying not to get blown away.  I saw only 1 species of swallow and no swifts the entire day.  Did I mention the cold?  Highlights were:  1 red-breasted merganser, 50 double-crested cormorants, 3 great egrets, 12 bald eagles, osprey, a migrant peregrine falcon, 6 black-bellied plovers, 2 semipalmated plovers, spotted sandpiper, semipalmated sandpiper, 19 least sandpipers, 22 dunlin, 1 Bonaparte's gull, a very late first cycle ICELAND
 GULL, a lesser black-backed gull (molting to first-summer), 12 great black-backed gulls, 7 Caspian terns, 1 common tern, 1 Forster's tern, belted kingfisher, 2 ruby-throated hummingbirds, red-eyed vireo, 25 barn swallows, house wren, gray catbirds, yellow warblers, chestnut-sided warbler, 3 palm warblers, Am. redstart, c. yellowthroat, white-throated sparrow, and Baltimore oriole.  In the city of Conneaut I saw another bald eagle over Conneaut Creek at Rte. 7.  Also along Rte. 7 a ways south was an Am. kestrel in Pierpont.  Craig Holt, Lowellville