OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
Rebecca Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 20 Jun 2012 19:35:18 -0400244_ISO-8859-1 Hi,

It turns out the OBRC secretary has a new email address for submissions and
this email address is now easier to find on the OBRC web page. You should
note the old address is obsolete and use the new one.

Haans39_20Jun201219:35:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 19:03:20 +0000
While at a birding event I was visiting with a rehab center that had a different species of woodpecker.  As part of her presentation about the bird she would hold a bowl of sugar water next to the cage, it was a treat for the bird only during educational programs.  The bird would extend its tongue out to get a bit of sugar water.  I was surprised at the use of sugar water but she said it was not unusual.

By the way, I think everyone needs to see this demonstrated.  It is one thing to know a woodpecker has a long tongue, it is completely different to see it fully extended.

Rebecca Hinkle