OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 11 Jun 2007 18:38:54 -0400639_windows-1250 The cool "booming" sound of Common Nighthawks is included in the
Peterson "More Birding by Ear" CD set. I thought it sounded
interesting, but hadn't witnessed it in person until about a month ago.

Some friends and I traveled to South Carolina to the Carolina Sandhills
National Wildlife Refuge in mid-May. Besides finding Bachman's Sparrow,
one of the highlights for me was seeing lots of nighthawks flying around
during the middle of the day below treetop height. One of them did the
diving wing-boom display right over the visitor's center while we were
standing in the parking lot about 20 [...]40_11Jun200718:38:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2007 20:01:59 EDT
Sunday, June 3 - 9:30 - 11:30 a.m.

North Park - Old Springfield Rd.:

Orchard orioles
Red-winged blackbirds
Eastern kingbirds
Great blue herons
Willow flycatchers
Yellow warblers - found a nest
European starlings
Spotted sandpiper
Green-backed heron
Field and song sparrows
Mallards
Canada geese
American goldfinches
Blue grosbeak - also seen by Judy Espedel and husband
Indigo buntings
Tufted titmouse
Brown-headed cowbirds
Warbling vireos
Turkey vulture
Tree, bank, and rough-winged swallows
Mourning doves
American crow
American robins

Along Ballinger Rd. (just north of Old Springfield Rd.):

Yellow-breasted chat
Yellow-billed cuckoo
Gray catbird
Northern mockingbird
Indigo bunting
Bank and rough-winged swallows
Field, chipping, and song sparrows
Northern cardinal
Mourning doves
American goldfinches
Common grackle
Great blue heron
Red-winged blackbirds
Warbling vireo
Brown-headed cowbird
Red-bellied woodpecker
Yellow-shafted flicker
Yellow warbler
Willow flycatcher
Coopers hawk
American robin
European starling

In the field by the water tower along Peters Pike north of Dayton
"International" Airport:

Eastern meadowlark
Savannah, grasshopper, field, and song sparrows

A quick drive through the Main Park:

Baltimore orioles
Warbling vireos
Red-eyed vireos
Prothonotary warblers
Red-bellied woodpecker
Great blue herons
Wood ducks
Great-crested and acadian flycatchers
Eastern wood pewee
Eastern phoebe
And all the regular "stuff" at all four places.

Happy birding,
Ed and Bev Neubauer
Englewood, Ohio