OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:16:09 -0700
I checked out Deer Creek yesterday (Oct. 20). The reservoir was only beginning to go down with mudflats appearing on the north end. There were Killdeers and a few Dunlins using it, but otherwise the reservoir offered little of note. Things can change quickly there, and it should pick up in coming weeks.  Gull and waterfowl numbers and variety is still low.

Of more interest in the wildlife area were the typical huge numbers of sparrows everywhere during the fall. Field, Chipping, Vesper, Savannah, Song, Swamp, Lincoln's, White-thr., and White-crowned can all be found with little effort in appropriate habitat, some in very large numbers. No sign yet of Fox or Am. Tree. Despite some effort on my part, no Ammodramus species could be found, but it's a big place. The southern wetland tract near New Holland still hosts Savannah Sparrows in the hundreds. I hauled my camera through there yesterday enjoying the great variety to them at this time of year.  I have walked through many fields in the fall over the years with lots of Savannah Sparrows, but never realized the extent of the difference in color that can occur at this time of year. I started a new page on my website for Savannah Sparrows out of the breeding season :

http://www.roysephotos.com/SavannahSparrow2.html

Since that huge flock has been there for well over a month now, my guess is that they're primarily local birds staging there, but I could be wrong.  Other than sparrows, the wetlands didn't hold too much of interest. More Killdeers and Pectoral Sandpiupers were present, but I think hunters in the morning would flush most birds away. The large Bobolink flock from last month is long gone.

Bob Royse, Columbus

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com