Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2011 22:08:17 -0400
The stages of the spring migration crossed at Sharon Woods today. At Shrock
 Lake there were signs that the waterfowl migration is still making its
presence  know as there were Bufflehead and Ruddy Ducks. Walking through the
wooded trails  the newest spring migrants were in decent numbers, especially
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers which seemed to be everywhere. Others of general
interest were Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Yellow-rumped Warblers,
 Phoebes, Eastern Towhees, Brown Thrashers, Northern Mockingbirds, Savannah
 Sparrows and Rough-winged Swallows.

As we walked past Schrock Lake we spotted the biggest Midland Painted
Turtle I ever saw. This Midland Turtle has seen many springs based upon its
size. A mature adult usually is about 9 to 10 inches, whereas I  estimated this
hardy turtle had to be 12 to 15 inches. What's in Schrock  Lake's water,
turtle steroids?

Charlie Bombaci