OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:40:19 -0500
Hello!

Sorry for the late post but on my way back from Lancaster yesterday, I stopped at the referenced sites near and within the Columbus area where the following birds were observed:

PICKERINGTON PONDS METRO PARK

Ellis Pond
Black Duck- ~20
Mallard- 3
GB Heron
White-Crowned Sparrow-6

Blue Wing Pond
Mallard- ~250
Black Duck- ~30
Gadwall- ~50
Am. Wigeon-2
N. Pintail-1
N. Shoveler-8 flew off when I arrived, not sure as I was looking into sun but appeared to be Shovelers
Kestrel-2 on the power line next to the pond

Mallard Marsh (from observation blind)
Mallard- ~200
Bufflehead-1
Hooded Merganser-4
Black Duck- ~25
White-Crowned Sparrow-2

I quickly scoped Arrowhead Marsh across the street from Blue Wing Pond.  The views weren't good because of the distance and heat shimmer but I could make out 2 Coots and a couple hundred Mallards.  The suspected Shovelers landed here when they flew off from Blue Wing Pond.

HAUL ROAD QUARRY PONDS
Redhead- ~18
Gadwall- ~18
Hooded Merganser-5
RB Gull-numerous

GREENLAWN CEMETERY

The last 2 times here, I immediately saw a Merlin perched on top of the Norway Spruce (upper half is dead) near the junction of Sections K (I believe) and L.  During this visit, I wasn't so lucky so I walked around the general area for about 20 minutes and looked up again at the tree top and there she was with a House Sparrow in her talons.  I watched for about 20-25 minutes through my scope as she went to work eating her prize.  I took numerous unprofessional quality photos by holding my point and shoot digital camera up to my scope.  If interested, e-mail me directly and I'll send some of the better photos.  As she was feeding, a Cooper's Hawk went flying by, and as I walked back to my car, I ran into another gentlemen (Phil North, right Phil?) who indicated that he saw a lighter phase Merlin on the other side of the bridge.  Some of the photos of the Merlin are somewhat gruesome, so much so that when I arrived home, I started to eat the whole roasted chicken that was there
  for dinner but quickly lost my appetite as vivid thoughts of the Merlin eating the sparrow went through my mind!  I need to diet anyways.

Directions to Pick Ponds are at www.metroparks.net, Haul Road ponds are east of I-71 and just north of SR 104 in south Columbus, and Greenlawn Cemetery can be accessed by taking I-71 South from Columbus, exiting at Greenlawn Avenue (1st exit south of I-70), turn right and follow straight into the cemetery to the mausoleum/pit area.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio