OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:15:33 -0500
bird counters,

      Just before I sat down to post this report, the Barred Owls began
calling to each other from each side of my house.  We have been hearing
them day and night for several days, probably as part of their mating
ritual.  That brought the impressive total for the day to 31 species.  Next
to last was a Sharpie that showed up in the feeder tree around 5:00.

Some other impressive visitors

CHIPPING SPARROW (2)
Swamp Sparrow (1)
White crowned sparrow (1)
Eastern Towhee (4!!!)
Brown Creeper (2)
5 woodpecker species
1 starling (the best number of starlings you could have)
Red shouldered and Red tailed hawk flyovers
Bluebird in tree behind the feeders

Best Bird,     Swamp sparrow (because it was the first of the winter)
most numerous   Northern Cardinal    about 30

Vicki Derr and Joe Faulkner

Beech Haven Farms
Somerset, Ohio
Perry County