From:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 16:44:02 -0500
A chilly, windy walk around Longbrakes this afternoon resulted in the following sightings:

Canada Goose  21
Mute Swan  1
Gadwall  38
Am. Wigeon  49
Am. Black Duck  22
Mallard  144
Blue Winged Teal  86
N. Shoveler  59
N. Pintail  168
Green Winged Teal  324
Canvasback  2
Redhead  2
Ring Necked Duck  56
GREATER SCAUP  2
Lesser Scaup  45
Bufflehead  39
Ruddy Duck  1
Pied Billed Grebe  8
Horned Grebe  3
Bald Eagle  4
N. Harrier  1
Am. Coot  385
Killdeer  14
Lesser Yellowlegs  2
Pectoral Sandpiper  67
Wilson's Snipe  21
N. Flicker  11
Tree Swallow  20
Am. Pipit  19
Am. Tree Sparrow  3
Field Sparrow  4
Vesper Sparrow  2
Savannah Sparrow  9
Song Sparrow  43
White Crowned Sparrow  1
Lapland Longspur  117
E. Meadowlark  5

It was very odd to see the shorebirds in various snow squaws and to also hear leopard frogs and chorus frogs vocalizing while it was snowing with cold temps.!

I've had field,tree, and chipping sparrows in my yard at my feeders the past few days, and about a dozen pipits in the snow foraging in my driveway!

Rick Counts
Wyandot Co.