OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Ohio birds <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2014 20:45:32 -0500
While checking to see if the Eurasian wigeon was still there (it wasn’t), I spotted a red-necked grebe on the river behind the Mohawk Dam on Rt. 715, east of Walhonding.  The water has all been drawn down, with only ice and mud remaining behind the dam, but the river had LOTS of waterfowl, observable from every bridge and from the dam.  The grebe was first seen at the bridge closest to the dam, and relocated around 5:30 p.m. at the dam itself.  Park at the locked gate by the dam, and walk west along the road until you can see a good section of the river.  The grebe was actively feeding when we left.  Interestingly, there was a horned grebe within 15 feet of the red-necked grebe, making comparisons easy.

With all the recent reports of RNGR, this notice is primarily for local Coshocton Co. birders.  I have called it in to the Bobolink Rare Birds Alert.

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH