OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2016

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2016 01:27:49 +0000
Today we birded and bicycled the all purpose asphalt trail from the Franklin Square Trailhead (Mile 8.5) on SR558, to the Lisbon Trailhead (Mile 0) on SR164 and return. From about 9AM to about 4PM we recorded a remarkable 84 species of birds. The Greenway Trail parallels the east side of The Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek, passing thru a diverse array of habitats including open fields, mature hemlocks, and gigantic bottomland sycamores. A Barred Owl family of mom and dad and two big kids gave us early entertainment. We witnessed a Red-tailed Hawk knock a Black Squirrel out of a tree, and fortunately was unsuccessful in his attempt to capture it on the ground. A great escape! A Wood Thrush nest with five youngsters was right on the edge of the trail. A good raptor showing included Osprey, Broad-winged Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, and numerous Turkey Vultures. Noisy young Great Blue Herons at their nests adjacent to the trail, high in the sycamores, could care less that we were there. Eleven species of warblers were found including Louisiana Waterthrush, Kentucky, Common Yellowthroat, Hooded, American Redstart, Cerulean, Northern Parula, Magnolia, Yellow, Yellow-throated, and Black-throated Green. Five species of Vireos were found including Blue-headed. Just south of the Teegarden Covered Bridge Trailhead Area (about Mile 5), you start to transition from seeing and hearing Black-capped Chickadees to seeing and hearing Carolina Chickadees. Adding to the excitement of the day on our way to Guilford Lake for supper, after our birding/bicycling adventure, we saw the Sandhill Crane family of mom and dad and one colt, between Sell Road and Tritten's Pond. At the lake, the breeding plumage male Ruddy Duck reported yesterday, was hanging near a family group of Canada Geese in front of The Guilford Lake Grille. What a rewarding day!

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County