OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:25:17 -0500
With Roberts email about swan ID, I decided to post the latest contact info
for reporting banded Trumpeter swans and Tundra swans.

What you were seeing were trumpeter swans that were banded and released in
Ohio a few years ago.  They will have Green or Yellow "necklaces".
Reporting of banded birds now needs to go to Dave Sherman
[log in to unmask] 1-419-898-0960 ext21

Banded Trumpeter Swans primarily will have a blue neck band with white
lettering.  But you could also see some that are white with black lettering.

For Tundra Swans Contact John Whissel at the USGS.  The link to contact info
page is as follows:

http://abscweb.wr.usgs.gov/science/biology/avian_influenza/TUSW/TUSW_report.html

He is in charge of North Slope banding which "should" be the swans that
would be in our area.

When reporting sightings make observations of band number, temperature,
wind, cloud cover, time of day, size of flock, and where located (If you can
get coordinates so much the better.)

I am going to start watching some of the newer ponds at Big Island that are
not part of the map.  Last year I saw dozens of tundra swans at the pond
between New Bloomington and LaRue...but that was last year :-)  Here is a
link to my gmap, the pond that I am talking about is marker #10.:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111124962307056523138.00045ebeaba268177d1e7&ll=40.570415,-83.259716&spn=0.062981,0.153809&t=h&z=13

Happy Birding and God bless.

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)

29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to
the ground apart from the will of your Father.
30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

(Matthew 10.29-31)