From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2018 20:43:27 -0400
We made the journey west from Columbus to hit a few fen preserves around
Springfield, starting at Cedar Bog, then cruising down to Gallagher Fen,
with a brief stop at the Buck Lake spillway.  Migration seems definitely
done here, as we didn't find a bona fide migrant the entire morning.  The
deforestation of Cedar Bog by the Ash Borer hasn't helped, as many forest
species are absent or reduced there.  Still, it was a good morning before
the heat kicked in, and all these sites had scores of resident species out
& singing.  Notables included:

Cuckoos - 2-3 Yellow-billeds were at both fens
Flycatchers - plenty of Wood Pewees & Great Cresteds, but only had a few
Acadians & Willows (both at Cedar bog)
Vireos - White-eyed, Red-eyed, Warbling (spillway only), Yellow-throated
(spillway, Gallagher)
Thrushes - only a few Wood Thrushes, all at Gallagher
Mimids - abundant Catbirds at all 3 sites, no Thrashers
Warblers - Yellows, Parulas, Yellow-throateds, Com.Yellowthroats at all 3
sites
Chat - only one, at the entrance to Cedar Bog
Tanagers - both Summer & Scarlet at Gallagher
Grosbeak,Buntings - Indigo Buntings at all 3 sites; Rose-breasted Grosbeak
singing at Gallagher
Orioles - Baltimores and Orchards at all 3 sites

Flowers were uninspiring at Cedar Bog -- too early for orchids --, but
Gallagher had a nice showing of Canada Anemones and Smooth Phlox.  Arrow
Spiketail dragonflies were at Cedar Bog, and the dragonfly expert on the
boardwalk also claimed that Elfin Skimmers & Gray Petaltails were also out
there.