OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2018

From:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2018 21:42:04 -0400
This is the third year I have surveyed communication towers across Geauga
County for Osprey nesting.  Here's how the numbers compare:

In 2016 there were 8 active nests, 16 adults and 10 confirmed (seen).

In 2017 there were 12 active nests, 24 adults and 16 confirmed chicks.

In 2018, after two visits (5/31 and 6/19) there are 12 active nests, 1
unsure (two adults on 5/31 but none today), 25 adults and 12 chicks
confirmed so far.  The chicks are still small and some may have been at the
bottom of the nest.  I watched each tower for 15 minutes (less if I saw 2
adults and 2 chicks) in order to give the chicks a chance to show
themselves.  In a couple weeks they will be perched on the edge of the nest
and easier to count.

I will be making one or  two more visits to try to get a firm handle on
chicks and that one unconfirmed nest.

One interesting point I shared last year is that most of these nests are
within 1 - 2 miles of a large lake or river (LaDue, E. Branch, Bass Lake,
Punderson, Moss Beach Club and the Upper Cuyahoga River).  Two nests are
about 3 miles but there are large ponds between their tower and the lake,
and they may be using those for fishing.  I visited 15 other towers across
the county but they had no nests and were outside the 2 - 3 mile limit.

Matt Valencic

"It is in giving that we receive."