From:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 09:21:37 -0400
Lee Underschultz
Little Hocking, OH
Athens County

I'm sorry for taking so long to post this but I can't get this image out of
my mind. About a week ago I was looking for evening migrants in my backyard.
It was approaching 8pm and it was cool and had been raining. Amongst the
birds I saw was a hummer perched in a tree about 40 feet away. It was poorly
lit and all I could see of the body color was that it appeared to be solidly
dark. But the thing that was unmistakable was that even seen with the naked
eye the bill was bright red. It was about the size of a Ruby Throated
hummer. Have there ever been sightings of a Broad-billed hummer this far
north and east?

The birding has been great here and I was lucky enough to catch a wood
thrush returning to her nest in an oak tree within view of my kitchen
window. She's about 40 feet up which surprised me. I've always looked low
for thrush nests before but researching it in books I find that it's within
range of normal for them.

I also was fortunate enough to finally get to Magee Marsh during the "Big
Week". Thanks to Ken's forecast I called my Friend on Thursday evening and
asked if she wanted to head north early (5am)Friday morning. She was game
and we were not disappointed. We even got to see the cooperative Kirtland
warbler. What a great long look at him. The Redstarts were so plentiful they
were starting to become almost annoying. It seemed that practically every
flash of motion was a redstart. But there were plenty of other warblers
there to share the show. One I was hoping to see was a black-throated blue
and I had no sooner stepped onto the boardwalk when I saw one in the trees
to my left. Now THAT'S my kind of birding! Thanks Ken!!!

Lee Underschultz
Firefly Hollow
Little Hocking, OH
www.fhsigns.com