OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Eric Mullholand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Mullholand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2010 11:21:54 -0500
I have been scouting for the Carey Christmas count and birding as I have
been running errands the last two days. I have had some interesting
experiences and observations. After stopping at the Wyandot County recycling
center in Carey I went to the back side of the landfill and discovered
several *wild turkeys*, a huge mixed group of sparrows mostly song and tree
sparrows but one *fox sparrow*. Around the corner at the Richey Cemetery
(where the Col Crawford monument is) there was an immature red-tailed hawk
on what appeared to be a poached deer carcass. It sat for a long time with
my sons and I watching him closely from less than ten yards. We proceeded to
Smithville where we watched 3 *Pilleated woodpeckers* and a *Hairy
woodpecker*. In an adjacant field was a flock of 10 wild turkeys. An open
patch of the Sandusky River offered a single *hooded merganser*. In the game
reserve south of Carey was a *Rough-legged hawk*, kestral, and *dark phase
red-tailed hawk* (which hunted at close range). I have had a lone *eastern
meadowlark* in the yard the last two days and three *grackles* at the
feeder. I also watched *4 coyotes* watch me in a field outside Vanlue.
We also got a chance to see action at Big Island. Brett (my oldest son) and
I watched a *short-eared owl* from 20 yards for better than 15 minutes until
a large crowd assembled and drove him away. And as I sat down to report
this, a* great blue heron* flew over the house. What a great couple of days!

Eric Mullholand
Social Studies Teacher
CEA President
Head Softball Coach